Vice President Ansari opens Festival of India in Cuba
Havana: People of Cuba were offered a glimpse of India`s diverse culture when visiting Vice President Hamid Ansari inaugurated a Festival of India here to bring the two countries closer.
Ansari, soon after his arrival in this Latin American country yesterday, inaugurated the festival that began with "Nrityaroopa", a fusion of six classical dances which was greeted with applause.
The Vice President, the first top Indian leader to make a bilateral visit to the Communist country, is scheduled to call on President Raul Castro today.
He will also hold wide-ranging talks with his counterpart Miguel Diaz-Canel Bermudez.
Despite the two countries working closely in the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM), there was never any bilateral state visit from India to Cuba in the past six decades.
Cuban revolutionary leader Fidel Castro met former Prime Ministers Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi but those meetings were held in New York and New Delhi and did not lead to any reciprocal visit from the Indian side.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh visited Havana in 2006 to attend the NAM summit, a multilateral engagement.
Coming at a time when China is trying to make inroads into Cuba, Ansari`s visit is being seen as an attempt to strengthen India`s presence in Southern America.
India had written off Cuba`s debt of USD 62 million in 2008. Subsequently, a new credit line of USD 120 million was opened, of which USD 12.7 million has been spent on a milk company, a chemical industry and an animal vaccine firm.
On the third leg of his tour, Ansari will leave tonight for Britain, where he will deliver a lecture on "Citizenship and Identity" at the Oxford Centre on Islamic Studies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof