Vice Presidential election on Aug 7
New Delhi: Election to the post of Vice President will be held on August 7 and the results would be out on the same day, the Election Commission announced on Tuesday.
The term of the incumbent Md Hamid Ansari expires on August 10.
Announcing the poll schedule, the Election Commission, after its meeting, decided that it would issue the notification on July 6, which will set the election process in motion.
While the last date for filing nominations is July 20, after scrutiny the next day, the last date for withdrawal of candidatures is July 23.
The counting of votes will take place on August 7.
The Vice-President is elected by the members of the electoral college consisting of members of both Houses of Parliament. There are a total of 790 members of Parliament.
Unlike in the Presidential election, the nominated members of both Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha are also eligible participate in the election for the post of Vice President.
A nomination paper of a candidate has to be proposed by at least twenty electors and seconded by as many.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends