Vice Presidential polls: Mulayam, Mayawati attend Sonia’s luncheon
New Delhi: UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Monday hosted a lunch for Congress MPs and that of the allies, a day ahead of the Vice Presidential election on August 7, as per official sources.
The Congress-led UPA is seeking a second consecutive term for Hamid Ansari.
According to the initial reports, arch rivals, BSP chief Mayawati and veteran SP leader Mulayam Singh Yadav attended Sonia’s luncheon.
Gandhi had hosted a similar lunch July 18, a day ahead of the Presidential poll.
According to sources, United Progressive Alliance nominee and incumbent Vice President Hamid Ansari is ahead of his rival Jaswant Singh, backed by the National Democratic Alliance. The lunch would have added to the bonhomie among the alliance partners and the parties supporting it from outside, with the month-long monsoon session of Parliament starting on August 8.
Sources also revealed that a pride of place was given to BSP supremo Mayawati during the course of the lunch. This may be a deliberate attempt by the Congress to send a signal to Mulayam Singh Yadav that it has other friends to count on, should he choose to oppose the coalition on key policy issues.
To be noted is the fact that in the run up to the Presidential election Mulayam Singh Yadav had joined hands with West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and had named three candidates of their choice for the top post, virtually taking on the candidates of Sonia Gandhi and rejecting her options.
However there was no report of TMC bigwigs attending the luncheon meeting.
Earlier in the day in a bid to repair the strained ties with Congress, Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee had instructed its MPs to attend the lunch hosted by Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
This is a clear indication that barring any last minute hitches, TMC is likely to support Hamid Ansari as the Vice-President of India for a second term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA