Vice Prez Ansari meets revolutionary icon Fidel Castro
Havana: Making the first-ever bilateral visit to communist Cuba by any Indian VVIP, Vice President Hamid Ansari called on revolutionary icon Fidel Castro and had a "very warm and affectionate" meeting with him.
Despite India and Cuba working closely on the Non Aligned Movement, it is the first-ever bilateral visit by any Indian VVIP to Havana as earlier trips by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and others were in connection with multi-lateral events.
"It was a very warm and affectionate visit," Indian Ambassador Chintapally Rajasekhar told reporters after Ansari`s 65-minute long meeting with the 87-year-old leader.
Rajasekhar said Ansari wanted to personally pay his respects to the icon of social justice. The meeting reflected the warmth in the relationship between India and Cuba, two of the founding members of the Non Aligned Movement (NAM).
Castro, who has been in poor health and demitted office in July 2006, had not met with a foreign official since Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro in July.
Ansari also had a 75-minute meeting with 82-year-old Cuban President Raul Castro.
Coming at a time when China is trying to make inroads into Cuba, Ansari`s visit is being seen as an attempt to strengthen India`s presence in South America.
The only Indian investment in Cuba is ONGC Videsh Limited`s search for oil in waters off Cuba`s north coast.
India had written off Cuba`s debt of USD 62 million in 2008. Subsequently, a new credit line of USD 120 million was opened, of which USD 12.7 million has been spent on a milk company, a chemical industry and an animal vaccine firm.
Meanwhile, an MoU on cooperation on broadcasting between Prasar Bharti and Cuban Radio and Television Institute was signed yesterday by Indian Ambassador Rajasekhar and Vice President of the institute Emillio Moises Garcia Borroto.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof