Vice Prez Ansari meets revolutionary icon Fidel Castro
Havana: Making the first-ever bilateral visit to communist Cuba by any Indian VVIP, Vice President Hamid Ansari called on revolutionary icon Fidel Castro and had a "very warm and affectionate" meeting with him.
Despite India and Cuba working closely on the Non Aligned Movement, it is the first-ever bilateral visit by any Indian VVIP to Havana as earlier trips by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and others were in connection with multi-lateral events.
"It was a very warm and affectionate visit," Indian Ambassador Chintapally Rajasekhar told reporters after Ansari`s 65-minute long meeting with the 87-year-old leader.
Rajasekhar said Ansari wanted to personally pay his respects to the icon of social justice. The meeting reflected the warmth in the relationship between India and Cuba, two of the founding members of the Non Aligned Movement (NAM).
Castro, who has been in poor health and demitted office in July 2006, had not met with a foreign official since Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro in July.
Ansari also had a 75-minute meeting with 82-year-old Cuban President Raul Castro.
Coming at a time when China is trying to make inroads into Cuba, Ansari`s visit is being seen as an attempt to strengthen India`s presence in South America.
The only Indian investment in Cuba is ONGC Videsh Limited`s search for oil in waters off Cuba`s north coast.
India had written off Cuba`s debt of USD 62 million in 2008. Subsequently, a new credit line of USD 120 million was opened, of which USD 12.7 million has been spent on a milk company, a chemical industry and an animal vaccine firm.
Meanwhile, an MoU on cooperation on broadcasting between Prasar Bharti and Cuban Radio and Television Institute was signed yesterday by Indian Ambassador Rajasekhar and Vice President of the institute Emillio Moises Garcia Borroto.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan