Vice-Prez lays foundation of rail line linking Sikkim
Rangpo (Sikkim): Sikkim will come up on the
country`s railway map with Vice President Hamid Ansari on Friday
laying the foundation stone of a 52.7-km broad gauge rail link
between Rangpo in the hill state and Sevoke in Darjeeling
district of West Bengal.
"People of Sikkim had a dream and the process of
fulfilling it just started today. It is a difficult project
considering that the terrain through which the line will go is
difficult," Ansari said.
He expressed confidence that the Indian Railways, which
is one of the most efficient railways in the world and has
proved its mettle by constructing the Konkan and Kashmir rail
link, will do it.
The line, which would be later extended upto Gangtok,
capital of Sikkim, would be an engineering achievement for the
railway, he said.
Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee said it was a landmark
for India and also for Sikkim which has no railway link till
"If we can do it in Jammu and Kashmir as well as
Uttarakhand, we can do it in Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh and
Bhutan too," she said.
The contract for the project estimated to be built at Rs
1,400 crore has already been given to state-owned IRCON.
The line will be completed in five years following which
the extension to Gangtok will be taken up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What an achievement! Anurag Thakur becomes first BJP MP to be commissioned into Territorial Army
- Rahul Gandhi kicks off Congress' poll campaign in Lucknow; vows to make UP no. 1 state, praises Sheila Dikshit
- Jeff Bezos world's third-richest, surpasses Warren Buffett: Forbes
- RBI to keep rates unchanged in August 9 policy: ICRA
- Expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh's wife led to his arrest?