Vice Prez poll: Ansari files nomination
New Delhi: Hamid Ansari Wednesday filed his nomination papers for being re-elected to the office of vice president in the presence of senior United Progressive Alliance (UPA) leaders, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
The nominations were handed over to Lok Sabha Secretary General T.K. Viswanathan, who is returning officer for Aug 7 vice presidential polls.
In what was seen as significant, Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav was seated next to the prime minister at the brief event in Parliament House. The SP props the UPA government from outside.
Nationalist Congress Party`s Sharad Pawar and Rashtriya Janata Dal`s Lalu Prasad were also in the front row along with Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi.
Bahujan Samaj Party`s Satish Misra, National Conference`s Farooq Abdullah, DMK`s T.R. Baalu and Lok Janshakti Party`s Ram Vilas Paswan were among those present.
The prime minister, in his brief remarks, expressed happiness over the "massive support" for Ansari.
"We are all very delighted that there is such a massive support for renomination of Ansari Sahib for the august office of vice-president," Manmohan Singh told reporters.
Ansari said it was a privilege for him to be candidate of the UPA and supporting parties.
"It is a privilege for me to be candidate of UPA and supporting parties. I am very grateful to all the leaders who have come here to attend this function and sponsor me," he said.
The function was attended by several union ministers.
Congress sources said they were expecting over 500 votes for Ansari in an electoral college comprising 790 MPs.
If re-elected, Ansari will be the second vice president after S. Radhakrishnan to get another term in office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH