Victory of Congress essential for development, stability: Sonia Gandhi
Minicoy: Stating that return of Congress to power was essential for "development and stability", its President Sonia Gandhi on Friday called upon the party workers across the country to toil hard for victory in Lok Sabha polls as winning each and every seat was going to be crucial.
Addressing a Congress convention at Minicoy island of the Lakshadweep, she said Congress alone could offer stable rule and ensure development of all parts of the country.
Striking an emotional note with the islanders, Gandhi said the "doors of the 10 Janpath is always open for the people from Lakshadweep and their demands have been considered with top priority always".
"The UPA Government has done a lot of development works for the Lakshadweep and their demands will be considered sympathetically in future also," she said.
Referring to some of the demands of the Island people, she said a proposal to introduce two more passenger ships to link the Lakshadweep with the mainland was under consideration.
The demand for a separate armed battalion of the territorial police for Lakshadweep and provision of Hard Area allowance for civil servants in the island service would also be considered.
Congress MP from Lakshadweep Hamdullah Sayeed and local party leaders were also present at the convention.
Gandhi, also the UPA Chairperson, earlier commissioned the Eastern Jetty at Minicoy island.
The jetty would enable passenger ships to berth, benefiting islanders in particular and travellers, including tourists coming to Minicoy.
After the function, she interacted with elders and Congress workers of Aoumugu village in Minicoy.
Earlier on her arrival at the Kochi Naval airport on the way to the island, she was accorded a warm reception by Congress leaders of Kerala.
Gandhi will address a special party convention in Kochi tomorrow, projected as the launch of the Congress` election campaign in party-led UDF-ruled Kerala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns