Video footage of Devyani Khobragade strip search is hoax: US
Washington: A video currently in circulation on the social media, which claims to be allegedly showing the CCTV footage of the strip search of Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade after her arrest in New York is a hoax, dangerous and provocative fabrication, the United States has said.
"This video, which we are aware of, is absolutely not footage of Ms.Khobragade. We would call it a dangerous and provocative fabrication," State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf said yesterday.
Also Read: `Devyani`s arrest has caused hiccups in Indo-US ties`
A 1999-batch IFS officer, Khobragade, India`s Deputy Consul General in New York, was arrested on charges of making false declarations in a visa application for her maid Sangeeta Richard. She was released on a USD 250,000 bond.
The 39-year-old diplomat was strip searched and held with criminals, triggering a row between the two sides with India retaliating by downgrading privileges of certain category of US diplomats among other steps last month.
The alleged video shows law enforcement officials strip searching a woman in custody. The woman is seen screaming, while she is being searched by police.
"This hoax video, which I think has appeared on some news websites without obviously confirming its authenticity, because it`s not, we find it deeply troubling, irresponsible and reckless and condemn, again, this dangerous fabrication. I want to make very clear this is not video of her," Harf said.
Harf said the State Department spoke with the US Marshals Service on this issue.
"They confirm that the footage in question does not depict US marshal employees, obviously that the search methods depicted in the video are not US marshals` policy. I haven`t watched the video myself. But I want to be very clear in saying this is not how we do things here," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender