Vijay Goel bats for Advani as PM, later retracts
New Delhi: Hinting at differences within the Bharatiya Janata Party over who will be its prime ministerial candidate in the 2014 General Elections, Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel on Saturday suggested senior leader LK Advani`s name as the "head of government" after the polls.
Speaking at a function celebrating the BJP’s 33rd Founding Day, Goel said the party would register a victory in the upcoming polls under the leadership of Advani.
"The party was strengthened by Atal Bihari Vajpayee and LK Advani. Vajpayee has been unwell but under Advani`s guidance the BJP will come to power in 2014," said Goel.
Later, in a volte face, Goel said that he was nobody to declare the name of the PM candidate. The parliamentary board will decide on that, he added.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi is considered to be a prominent candidate of the BJP for the PM’s post. Many BJP leaders, on various occasions, have said that Modi is the perfect choice for the key post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional