Vijay Goel bats for Advani as PM, later retracts
New Delhi: Hinting at differences within the Bharatiya Janata Party over who will be its prime ministerial candidate in the 2014 General Elections, Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel on Saturday suggested senior leader LK Advani`s name as the "head of government" after the polls.
Speaking at a function celebrating the BJP’s 33rd Founding Day, Goel said the party would register a victory in the upcoming polls under the leadership of Advani.
"The party was strengthened by Atal Bihari Vajpayee and LK Advani. Vajpayee has been unwell but under Advani`s guidance the BJP will come to power in 2014," said Goel.
Later, in a volte face, Goel said that he was nobody to declare the name of the PM candidate. The parliamentary board will decide on that, he added.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi is considered to be a prominent candidate of the BJP for the PM’s post. Many BJP leaders, on various occasions, have said that Modi is the perfect choice for the key post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO