Vijay Goel bats for Advani as PM, later retracts
New Delhi: Hinting at differences within the Bharatiya Janata Party over who will be its prime ministerial candidate in the 2014 General Elections, Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel on Saturday suggested senior leader LK Advani`s name as the "head of government" after the polls.
Speaking at a function celebrating the BJP’s 33rd Founding Day, Goel said the party would register a victory in the upcoming polls under the leadership of Advani.
"The party was strengthened by Atal Bihari Vajpayee and LK Advani. Vajpayee has been unwell but under Advani`s guidance the BJP will come to power in 2014," said Goel.
Later, in a volte face, Goel said that he was nobody to declare the name of the PM candidate. The parliamentary board will decide on that, he added.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi is considered to be a prominent candidate of the BJP for the PM’s post. Many BJP leaders, on various occasions, have said that Modi is the perfect choice for the key post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan