Vikas Yadav out of Tihar 66 times for treatment
New Delhi: Vikas Yadav, serving a life term
for the murder of Nitish Katara, had been out of Tihar Jail as
many as 66 times since his conviction by a trial court in
2008, according to an RTI reply.
As per the reply filed by the Tihar Jail authorities,
Yadav was taken to hospital 66 times for treatment following
The information was revealed on an RTI application filed
by advocate Kaushik Dey, who has been representing Neelam
Katara, the mother of the victim.
Dey had sought information from the jail authorities
regarding Yadav`s trips outside Tihar after his conviction by
a trial court on May 28, 2008.
Reacting to the disclosure, Neelam said, "Instead of
specifying the disease or reasons for which he had to go out,
the RTI application simply said he went out to DDU for six
times and the rest 60 times to AIIMS...This has to be
She also accused the jail authorities of illegally
shifting Yadav, son of former MP D P Yadav, from the jail
meant for the convicts to the jail meant for the undertrials.
"We need to know why was he transferred from jail no 2 to
4, which is obviously a more relaxed place and more facilities
are provided to the undertrials. It needs to be investigated,"
According to her, the records of co-convict Vishal, was
also intriguing. Vishal has been admitted to Delhi`s Batra
Hospital twice in 2009 (February 25-June 4 and October
7-December 12), while he has visited the hospital 19 times for
treatment, she claimed.
She appealed to the general public to join her in the
fight against her son`s killers, saying, "I know influential
persons can buy favour in jail as well. It hurts that after
devoting eight years of your life for the purpose of justice,
this is what you get in return from the system".
As per the RTI reply to her lawyer, Yadav has gone out
on 15 other occasions, for reasons including court appearances
and his sister Bharati Yadav`s wedding last year.
In May 2008, a Delhi Court had convicted Yadav and his
cousin Vishal for killing Nitish Katara, an MBA student, in
February 2002 for having an affair with their sister Bharati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional