‘Vikramaditya’ starts sea trials
Moscow: Ahead of its expected delivery by year end, Indian Navy`s Russian built aircraft carrier Vikramaditya on Friday commenced sea trials in the White Sea.
The sea-trials of 45,000 tonne carrier are being carried out by a mixed crew of Russian and Indian sailors and would last for the next 120 days, before the warship is formally handed over to India, RIA Novosti reported quoting officials at the Sevmash shipyard, where the vessel is being retrofitted.
Officials said Indian naval personnel were on board to familiarise themselves to the system of the carrier.
"After initial trials in the White Sea, the carrier would move into the nearby Barents Sea for trials with naval fighters," officials said.
The sea-trials of the warship are four year behind the schedule.
India and Russia had inked a USD 947 million deal in 2005 for the purchase of the carrier, but delivery has already been delayed twice, pushing up the cost of refurbishing the carrier to USD 2.3 billion.
Sevmash shipyard director Vladimir Pastukhov, was fired in 2007 over his poor management of the project.
The Vikramaditya was originally built as the Soviet Project 1143.4 class aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov.
The ship was laid down in 1978 at the Nikolayev South shipyard in Ukraine, launched in 1982, and commissioned with the Soviet Navy in 1987.
It was renamed after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. In 1994, the Admiral Gorshkov sat in dock for a year for repairs after a boiler room explosion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Mumbai local crashes into platform at Churchgate Station
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him