‘Vikramaditya’ starts sea trials
Moscow: Ahead of its expected delivery by year end, Indian Navy`s Russian built aircraft carrier Vikramaditya on Friday commenced sea trials in the White Sea.
The sea-trials of 45,000 tonne carrier are being carried out by a mixed crew of Russian and Indian sailors and would last for the next 120 days, before the warship is formally handed over to India, RIA Novosti reported quoting officials at the Sevmash shipyard, where the vessel is being retrofitted.
Officials said Indian naval personnel were on board to familiarise themselves to the system of the carrier.
"After initial trials in the White Sea, the carrier would move into the nearby Barents Sea for trials with naval fighters," officials said.
The sea-trials of the warship are four year behind the schedule.
India and Russia had inked a USD 947 million deal in 2005 for the purchase of the carrier, but delivery has already been delayed twice, pushing up the cost of refurbishing the carrier to USD 2.3 billion.
Sevmash shipyard director Vladimir Pastukhov, was fired in 2007 over his poor management of the project.
The Vikramaditya was originally built as the Soviet Project 1143.4 class aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov.
The ship was laid down in 1978 at the Nikolayev South shipyard in Ukraine, launched in 1982, and commissioned with the Soviet Navy in 1987.
It was renamed after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. In 1994, the Admiral Gorshkov sat in dock for a year for repairs after a boiler room explosion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune