Vilas Muttemwar made Congress general secretary
New Delhi: Vilas Muttemwar, who on Tuesday
missed the bus to the Union Cabinet, was made Congress general
secretary while Arun Yadav was named party secretary
after he was dropped from the Ministry.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi made the appointments
close on the heels of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
reshuffling his Council of Ministers.
62-year old Muttemwar, a Congress leader from Vidarbha
region of Maharashtra, is a Lok Sabha member from Nagpur and
was a prominent ministerial hopeful.
There has been talk that BJP president Nitin Gadkari
could contest the next Lok Sabha polls from Nagpur.
Muttemwar was a Minister of State in the UPA-I holding
independent charge of New and Renewable Energy.
Yadav, who was Minister of State for Agriculture and
Food Processing, is a Lok Sabha member from Khandwa in Madhya
The announcement was made by AICC general secretary
With the appointment of Muttemwar, the Congress will
have 10 general secretaries. The party has more than 30
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'