Vilasrao Deshmukh continues to be stable; PM briefed
Chennai: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was on Thursday briefed about the condition of his ailing cabinet colleague Vilasrao Deshmukh, stated to be stable at a hospital here where he is undergoing treatment for serious liver illness.
Deshmukh`s son Amit Deshmukh, a member of Maharashtra Assembly, briefed the Prime Minister about the treatment being extended to the 67-year old Science and Technology Minister at the Global Hospitals, sources in the hospital said.
"He is stable," the sources said declining to reveal any further information about Deshmukh, who was admitted to the hospital in critical condition on Monday evening and counties to be under observation.
Deshmukh was brought here in an air ambulance for a possible liver transplant but the doctors have made it clear that his condition has to improve before any decision could be taken on such a course.
Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah, state Health Minister V S Vijay and former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh were among those who visited the hospital to inquire about the health of the former Maharashtra chief minister.
Singh told reporters that Deshmukh`s family members told him that his condition was far better than it was in Mumbai where he underwent a brief treatment at the Breach Candy hospital.
"I think he will get fine," Singh said.
A team doctors of several specialties, including noted liver transplant surgeon Dr Mohamed Rela, are treating Deshmukh, who is on life-support systems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video