Vilasrao Deshmukh continues to be stable; PM briefed
Chennai: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was on Thursday briefed about the condition of his ailing cabinet colleague Vilasrao Deshmukh, stated to be stable at a hospital here where he is undergoing treatment for serious liver illness.
Deshmukh`s son Amit Deshmukh, a member of Maharashtra Assembly, briefed the Prime Minister about the treatment being extended to the 67-year old Science and Technology Minister at the Global Hospitals, sources in the hospital said.
"He is stable," the sources said declining to reveal any further information about Deshmukh, who was admitted to the hospital in critical condition on Monday evening and counties to be under observation.
Deshmukh was brought here in an air ambulance for a possible liver transplant but the doctors have made it clear that his condition has to improve before any decision could be taken on such a course.
Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah, state Health Minister V S Vijay and former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh were among those who visited the hospital to inquire about the health of the former Maharashtra chief minister.
Singh told reporters that Deshmukh`s family members told him that his condition was far better than it was in Mumbai where he underwent a brief treatment at the Breach Candy hospital.
"I think he will get fine," Singh said.
A team doctors of several specialties, including noted liver transplant surgeon Dr Mohamed Rela, are treating Deshmukh, who is on life-support systems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report