Vilification campaign going on against me: AMU VC
Aligarh: Under attack from various quarters
on issues related to varsity affairs, Aligarh Muslim
University Vice Chancellor P K Abdul Azis on Wednesday hit back at
critics saying that a `caucus` led by a former MP was
`carrying out a vilification campaign` against him.
"A caucus led by a former MP is carrying out a
vilification campaign against me," Azis told reporters here
and added that the meeting of the AMU Court scheduled to be
held on December 19 "will take place on that day".
Earlier a group MPs, who are also members of the AMU
Court, had alleged that vice-chancellor has deliberately
scheduled the meeting on December 19 when a large number of
members will be attending the plenary session of All-India
The MPs have also appealed to President Pratibha Patil,
who is a Visitor of the varsity to postpone the meeting.
"The date of the meeting of the University Court was
decided much before the announcement of the dates of the
plenary session," Azis said.
When asked about allegations made by MPs that meeting
should be held only after vacancies in electoral college are
filled up and student representatives should also be included,
he said there is no legal bar in holding meeting of the Court
in absence of student representatives.
Advising those from outside the University, including
politicians, not to "poke their noses" in the affairs of the
varsity Azis said, "Certain political lobbies are trying to
attack the University`s autonomy and meddle in the affairs."
The vice chancellor said some politicians are patronising
students who are raising "extraneous" issues.
Referring to allegations that the University authorities
were trying to put impediments in the ongoing enquiry against
him and some other senior officials on charges of financial
irregularities, Azis said, "It is totally baseless to allege
that we are trying to derail the enquiry."
To a question, on the reported move by Justice V N
Divecha, one of the two judges conducting the enquiry,
offering to resign after accusing varsity officials of not
cooperating, the VC said, "I am very sad to hear that Justice
Divecha has offered to resign but it has nothing to do with
anything from our side."
Azis added that ongoing enquiry should also cover those
persons who are trying to defame the varsity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes