Vilification campaign going on against me: AMU VC
Aligarh: Under attack from various quarters
on issues related to varsity affairs, Aligarh Muslim
University Vice Chancellor P K Abdul Azis on Wednesday hit back at
critics saying that a `caucus` led by a former MP was
`carrying out a vilification campaign` against him.
"A caucus led by a former MP is carrying out a
vilification campaign against me," Azis told reporters here
and added that the meeting of the AMU Court scheduled to be
held on December 19 "will take place on that day".
Earlier a group MPs, who are also members of the AMU
Court, had alleged that vice-chancellor has deliberately
scheduled the meeting on December 19 when a large number of
members will be attending the plenary session of All-India
The MPs have also appealed to President Pratibha Patil,
who is a Visitor of the varsity to postpone the meeting.
"The date of the meeting of the University Court was
decided much before the announcement of the dates of the
plenary session," Azis said.
When asked about allegations made by MPs that meeting
should be held only after vacancies in electoral college are
filled up and student representatives should also be included,
he said there is no legal bar in holding meeting of the Court
in absence of student representatives.
Advising those from outside the University, including
politicians, not to "poke their noses" in the affairs of the
varsity Azis said, "Certain political lobbies are trying to
attack the University`s autonomy and meddle in the affairs."
The vice chancellor said some politicians are patronising
students who are raising "extraneous" issues.
Referring to allegations that the University authorities
were trying to put impediments in the ongoing enquiry against
him and some other senior officials on charges of financial
irregularities, Azis said, "It is totally baseless to allege
that we are trying to derail the enquiry."
To a question, on the reported move by Justice V N
Divecha, one of the two judges conducting the enquiry,
offering to resign after accusing varsity officials of not
cooperating, the VC said, "I am very sad to hear that Justice
Divecha has offered to resign but it has nothing to do with
anything from our side."
Azis added that ongoing enquiry should also cover those
persons who are trying to defame the varsity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe