Village rejoices Rafi’s 87th birth anniversary
Amritsar: A statue of legendary Bollywood
singer Mohammed Rafi was unveiled in his ancestral village
Kotla Sultan Singh to celebrate his 87th birth anniversary.
Noted Punjab singers including Dolly Guleria and Shanker
Sahni paid tribute to Rafi by singing his famous songs.
The Government School of Kotla Sultan Singh, where Rafi
studied upto fourth standard, organised the festivities.
Rafi was sent to Lahore while he was still a child and
while working in his uncle`s barber shop, Rafi met director of
Nishad studio of Lahore who gave him his first break.
A memorial children park was also inaugurated in the
Born on December 24, 1924, Rafi is considered among one
of the finest playback singers India ever had. In a career
spanning four decades the singer sung more than 7000 Hindi
film songs and continues to be a favourite in all generations
with his golden voice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley