Violence against NE students: MPs seek action
New Delhi: Anguished over the violence against Northeastern students in some parts of the country, several MPs from the region today asked the Centre to advise the concerned states to take firm and punitive action against the perpetrators.
In a joint letter to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, the MPs from several states and parties sought his immediate intervention in the matter urging him to ascertain the amount of damage already done and "bringing this unnecessary backlash to a halt".
"With deep anguish, we, the MPs representing several Northeastern states, wish to bring to your notice the horrific incidents of backlash against Northeastern students in the cities of Pune, Hyderabad, Bangalore and other metropolitan cities," they said.
They urged Shinde to advise the state governments to "take firm and punitive action against the perpetrators of this violence".
The signatories included P D Rai (Sikkim), Thokchom Meinya and T Baite (Manipur), Dip Gogoi and Ranee Narah (Assam), C M Chang (Nagaland), C L Ruala (Mizoram) and Ninong Ering (Arunachal Pradesh).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed