Violence in Kannauj after road accident
Kannauj: In a tragic incident, four children were mowed down by a speeding truck in Uttar Pradesh`s Kannauj district on Wednesday, sparking violent protests by local people who attacked a police station and targeted public property.
Following the incident, irate villagers blocked all vehicular traffic on the important GT road that connects Kanpur to New Delhi and the other road between Farukkhabad and Kannauj.
Angry mob also set a UP Roadways bus that was passing by, on fire and indulged in stone pelting.
The truck driver however has gone absconding and the police are looking for him.
According to reports, the situation turned out of control at around 11:30 when angry mobs attempted to torch a bus and attacked a police station. As they targeted every vehicle that came their way, the police resorted to tear gas shelling to disperse the angry crowd.
The police action further provoked the angry villagers, who started pelting stones in which the Kannauj Superintendent of Police was seriously injured.
In order to bring the situation under control, police then resorted to firing, which claimed the life at least one villager.
Special Director General of Police Brij Lal said, “The situation is tense but under control. Additional forces are being sent to the area to bring the situation under control.”
Meanwhile, heavy police reinforcement is being rushed to the spot and the truck which killed the four kids has been seized by the police.
No arrests had been made so far and the police are trying it best to clear the traffic jam at the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88