VIP security must be more sensitive, says Chidambaram
Hyderabad: VIP security must be sensitive to the "emergency needs" of the people, Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram said here on Friday while describing as unfortunate the death of a patient outside a Chandigarh hospital when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was visiting.
Chidambaram hoped that the Special Protection Group (SPG) and state police had learnt their lesson and that such incidents would not happen again.
"The SPG is under the control of the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO). I think the Prime Minister`s Office said what needs to said that VIP security must be sensitive to concerns of people and emergency needs of people.
"What happened in Chandigarh is very unfortunate. The Prime Minister has expressed his distress and regret," Chidambaram said while answering questions from reporters after the passing out parade at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy here.
Sumit Prakash Verma, 32, died on Tuesday after the vehicle carrying him to the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh could not enter the emergency area in time for treatment, his relatives alleged. The prime minister was at the time visiting the medical college and hospital for its 30th convocation.
The family of Verma, who was suffering from a major kidney ailment and had breathing trouble, alleged that their vehicle that had come from Ambala, 45 km from Chandigarh, was stopped at different gates of the institute by overzealous securitymen, leading to wastage of crucial time.
The victim`s family, however, sought to absolve the prime minister of responsibility and blamed his elite SPG and other security agencies for the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video