VIP security must be more sensitive, says Chidambaram
Hyderabad: VIP security must be sensitive to the "emergency needs" of the people, Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram said here on Friday while describing as unfortunate the death of a patient outside a Chandigarh hospital when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was visiting.
Chidambaram hoped that the Special Protection Group (SPG) and state police had learnt their lesson and that such incidents would not happen again.
"The SPG is under the control of the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO). I think the Prime Minister`s Office said what needs to said that VIP security must be sensitive to concerns of people and emergency needs of people.
"What happened in Chandigarh is very unfortunate. The Prime Minister has expressed his distress and regret," Chidambaram said while answering questions from reporters after the passing out parade at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy here.
Sumit Prakash Verma, 32, died on Tuesday after the vehicle carrying him to the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh could not enter the emergency area in time for treatment, his relatives alleged. The prime minister was at the time visiting the medical college and hospital for its 30th convocation.
The family of Verma, who was suffering from a major kidney ailment and had breathing trouble, alleged that their vehicle that had come from Ambala, 45 km from Chandigarh, was stopped at different gates of the institute by overzealous securitymen, leading to wastage of crucial time.
The victim`s family, however, sought to absolve the prime minister of responsibility and blamed his elite SPG and other security agencies for the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!