VIPs throng Sarabjit Singh`s cremation
Bhikhiwind: They may have failed to secure his release but VIPs of all shades came together here on Friday at the cremation of Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh who was beaten to death in Pakistan.
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi flew into this Punjab town from New Delhi. He got off from his car and walked some distance to reach the cremation ground.
Gandhi remained with Sarabjit`s sister Dalbir Kaur for some time just before she lit the pyre of the brother for whose life she fought bravely over the years.
The Congress leader placed a wreath on Sarabjit`s coffin. Before the pyre was lit, he walked back to it and placed firewood on it.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal was the first to place a wreath on Sarabjit`s body. He was followed by his son and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.
A number of cabinet ministers, members of parliament and legislators of the ruling Akali Dal-BJP alliance also placed wreaths.
Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur also attended the cremation. Punjab Congress president and MP Pratap Singh Bajwa was also present along with other party MPs and legislators.
The 49-year-old Sarabjit was accorded a state funeral. He received fatal injuries in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat Jail April 26 when he was brutally assaulted by fellow prisoners with bricks and sharp-edged things.
He was declared dead in Lahore`s Jinnah Hospital early Thursday. His body was brought in a special Air India flight from Lahore to Amritsar Thursday evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?