Virender Sehwag denies contesting Lok Sabha polls
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: Indian cricketer Virender Sehwag has denied reports that he is mulling to contest the Lok Sabha polls.
A report had claimed that Sehwag may contest the General Elections on a Congress ticket from the South Delhi constituency.
The report had quoted sources as saying that the party was mulling the candidature of Sehwag, who is also known as the ‘Nawab of Najafgarh’, from South Delhi. The cricketer was also reported to be open to the idea of contesting polls, as his international career seemed to be going nowhere as of now.
But, he has now denied any such plans.
Sehwag took to Twitter and said, “I m not contesting election, I don`t know why media is running this story... (sic).”
I m not contesting election, I don't know why media is running this story...
— Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) March 20, 2014
It is noteworthy that Sehwag’s sister, Anju Meherwal, is a municipal councillor from Dakshinpuri Extension, which falls under the South Delhi constituency.
The Congress has already nominated five sitting MPs while it has yet to announce candidates for the remaining two Delhi seats.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader