Visa row: Be more “sensitive”, India tells China
New Delh: China and India should show "sensitivity to each others` concerns", the Indian foreign ministry said Friday amid reports that China had denied a visa to a senior army officer responsible for Jammu and Kashmir.
"While we value our exchanges with China, there must be sensitivity to each others` concerns," said ministry of external affairs spokesperson Vishnu Prakash.
The statement follows a media report that General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Northern Area Command, BS Jaswal was supposed to visit China for a high-level exchange but was denied a visa as he had Jammu and Kashmir under his area of control.
However, Prakash just said that the visit was cancelled due to "certain reasons".
He added that talks were still on with China to resolve the issue. "Our dialogue with China on these issues is ongoing," the MEA spokesperson said.
The ministry also said that India and China had a "important, multi-faceted and complex relationship".
"Our interaction has been growing in a number of areas, including defence. In recent years, we have had useful defence exchanges at various levels," he added.
According to the report in a daily, following the latest visa denial, the defence ministry had stopped the visit of two Chinese army officials to the National Defence College.
Responding to questions on the issue, Defence Minister AK Antony said in Hyderabad: "It is not the question of breaking ties."
"There are occasional problems but that will not affect our broader approach," he told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Read this to know where Barack Obama will stay after retirement!
- Virat Kohli plays straight without compromising technique: Sachin Tendulkar
- PMO monitoring social media activity of ministers, tutoring them to efficiently use Twitter, Facebook: Report
- Kaka called up for Brazil's Centenary Copa America squad
- I see every day as a new day: Virat Kohli on his dream run