Visa to Miandad doesn`t change Dawood Ibrahim`s status for India: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Friday made it clear that the issuance of visa to former Pakistani cricketer Javed Miandad, a relative of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, did not reflect any change in status of the Mumbai serial bomb blasts case mastermind as far as India is concerned.
Miandad`s son Junaid is married to Mahrukh, the daughter of Dawood, who is wanted in India in connection with the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts case.
"There has not been any change as far as Dawood Ibrahim is concerned. His position remains exactly the same," a top government source said.
The remarks came amidst criticism by BJP and Shiv Sena over the issuance of visa to Miandad.
The source said Miandad, whose son married the fugitive terrorist`s daughter, was not on India`s negative list and added that he was given a visa in April, 2011 also.
However, he did not come last time. The former Pakistani captain has been granted an Indian visa that will allow him to watch the final ODI of the ongoing limited-over cricket series between the two countries in New Delhi on January 6.
However, Miandad cancelled his visit this time also.
According to Indian security agencies, Dawood is believed to be be staying in Karachi in Pakistan where he had fled to after the serial bomb blasts.
Asked why he gave visa to Miandad, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde shot back "I have not given visa. My officer or my mission must have given".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'