Visa to Miandad doesn`t change Dawood Ibrahim`s status for India: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Friday made it clear that the issuance of visa to former Pakistani cricketer Javed Miandad, a relative of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, did not reflect any change in status of the Mumbai serial bomb blasts case mastermind as far as India is concerned.
Miandad`s son Junaid is married to Mahrukh, the daughter of Dawood, who is wanted in India in connection with the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts case.
"There has not been any change as far as Dawood Ibrahim is concerned. His position remains exactly the same," a top government source said.
The remarks came amidst criticism by BJP and Shiv Sena over the issuance of visa to Miandad.
The source said Miandad, whose son married the fugitive terrorist`s daughter, was not on India`s negative list and added that he was given a visa in April, 2011 also.
However, he did not come last time. The former Pakistani captain has been granted an Indian visa that will allow him to watch the final ODI of the ongoing limited-over cricket series between the two countries in New Delhi on January 6.
However, Miandad cancelled his visit this time also.
According to Indian security agencies, Dawood is believed to be be staying in Karachi in Pakistan where he had fled to after the serial bomb blasts.
Asked why he gave visa to Miandad, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde shot back "I have not given visa. My officer or my mission must have given".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead