Vision document soon on making railways accident free: Mamata
New Delhi: Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee
on Thursday said it will soon come out with a vision document to
make railways accident free and is looking at installing
Anti-Collision Devices throughout the network.
"Whenever there is an accident we talk about anti-
collision devices and other safety measures... But we do not
have a long term policy... We have decided this time that we
have to go ahead in terms of short-term vision and long-term
vision," she said in the Lok Sabha during Question Hour.
The minister said the approach towards accidents will be
"zero tolerance" in the next ten years and added, "If we plan
for it now, we can do it certainly."
She said about Rs 13,000 crore would be required to
install Anti-Collision Devices through out the rail network
and sought Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee`s help in
allocation of funds.
To a member`s remark that thousands of people have died in
accidents in last six months, the minister said the number of
accidents have decreased, "but if there is even one death,
then also it is unfortunate.
"...In case of big railway accidents the loss of lives is
somewhere in the range of 700 to 800 people. But if there is
even one death because of rail accidents, then we are sorry
for it and we apologise for that," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what