Visit to Vietnam very productive, useful: Ansari
On Board Special Aircraft: Terming his state visit to Vietnam as "very productive", Vice President Hamid Ansari on Thursday said India`s ties with ASEAN countries are part of a well-considered Look East policy which has resulted in a ten-fold increase in trade with them in the last 12 years.
"Vietnam is and ASEAN is a part of a well-considered Look East policy of the Government of India which has been in place for some years now. Vietnam is an important element in it but the policy covers the entire ASEAN region. I think we are satisfied with the results," he told reporters while returning to Delhi.
Ansari today winded up a four-day state visit to Vietnam during which he discussed trade, cultural exchange, tourism- related issues with the South East Asian nation`s top leaders. He also advocated strengthening the strategic relationship that began between the two countries in 2007.
"In overall ASEAN framework in last 12 years or so, our trade with ASEAN has gone up by ten times, from USD 8 billion to USD 80 billion. Our investment in ASEAN is making good progress," Ansari said.
The Vice President, however, expressed concern over investments from Indian companies in Vietnam not coming up to expectations.
"Our investment in Vietnam are modest but not that modest. As more and more Indian companies discover the potential of the Vietnamese market, we will have more investments coming in (there)," he said.
Ansari said India will continue to invest in Vietnam in both political and economic terms.
Expressing satisfaction over his visit to Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, Ansari said the interactions were "very useful, very productive". "Discussions in Hanoi with Vietnamese leadership were very focused, very positive and impression I have is that we have reinforced the levels of relationship with Vietnam," the Vice President said.
India will continue to provide Vietnam whatever assistance it needs in capacity building within our "limitations and capabilities", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack