Vivekananda`s 150th birth anniversary celebrations concluded
Chicago: Celebrations to mark the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda, the saint who enlightened the western world about Hinduism 120-years-ago, sharing his philosophy of a world without borders, have concluded here.
The two-day event "World Without Borders 2013" was hosted by the Vishwa Hindu Parishad of America (VHP-A) and co-hosted by other Indo-American organisations.
"It was a great event. Vishwa Hindu Parishad of America wanted to get Hindu community together for a common cause," president of VHP-A (Chicago chapter), Shamkant Sheth, said.
Sheth said that the main thing was to bring the community together on a common thread. We want to spread the message of "Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam" or the world is our family.
"We want that all Hindu temples and groups should unite. All beads should together form a garland," Sheth explained.
The two-day event was attended by yoga guru Ramdev and BJP leader Subramanian Swamy. However, the Council for a Parliament of the World`s Religions (CPWR) had disassociated itself from the event, saying it was co-sponsored by groups "promoting controversial political positions".
CPWR spurning the event did not affect the event, Sheth said.
Bharat Barai, an organising community member, said they CPWR did not state clearly what the issue was.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27