Vivekanand`s teaching can help India face challenges: Bhagwat
New Delhi: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat on Friday said Swami Vivekanand`s teachings can help India, especially its youth, face the challenges before it.
At a programme organised to launch a year-long celebration of 150th birth anniversary of Vivekanand, Bhagwat said the challenges before the country will have to be fought and cannot be solved by running away from them.
"The solution to these problems lies through them," he said.
Recalling the teachings of the philosopher, he said, "Vivekanand even said it is ok if you do not read the Gita but play football."
He explained that the Swami wanted the youth to have strong physique to meet the challenges.
Bhagwat said the message of Vivekanand should be taken to each household and to the hearts of the youth.
Mata Amritanandmayi, who was the chief guest at the programme, mentioned the recent Delhi gang-rape case in her address. She said that after this incident many people would be ashamed to call themselves Indian.
"Can the atrocity that took place in Delhi be anything other than the deed of an asura (devil`s) mind," she said.
Strong laws are needed but unless value education is imparted to children this would not help, she said.
Women should be given equal rights and security, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video