Vizag chopper crash: Navy recovers two bodies
Visakhapatnam: Almost four days after a Naval helicopter, with four crew members on board, crashed into the sea off Vizag coast in Andhra Pradesh, the rescue teams on Saturday retrieved bodies of a Lieutenant Commander and a sailor from the wreckage landed at the depth of 60 metres.
The deceased were identified as Lieutenant Commander Pranav Likithi and sailor G S Sen, according to a release by the Eastern Naval Command.
Two other crew members had been rescued earlier and are recuperating at Naval hospital INHS Kalyani.
The Chetak 440 helicopter crashed into the sea about 10 nautical miles off Visakhapatnam coast on Tuesday afternoon, soon after it took off from INS Dega at about 2 pm on a routine mission.
The rescue teams last night spotted the debris, strewn at a depth of 60 metres, along with the two bodies, at a distance of 8 miles south of Dolphin Light House, the release said.
The bodies were retrieved in the early hours today by the joint rescue teams.
Soon after the crash, an extensive search and rescue operation was launched from the sea and air by the Navy, along with the Coast Guard, Port authorities and Marine Police.
The Navy had already ordered a Board of Inquiry to establish the cause of the accident.
A multi-purpose offshore chartered vessel `Olympic Canyon` was also roped in with its Remote Operating Vehicle for the salvaging operations.
Meanwhile, bodies of Likithi and Sen were sent for post-mortem at state-run King George Hospital, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister