VK Singh calls destabilisation attempt "most absurd"
New Delhi: Under attack over the purported activities of a secret intelligence unit set up by him, former Army Chief Gen V K Singh on Saturday hit back as "motivated" the charges against him as a meeting of top officials discussed the issue.
A day after media carried reports that the Technical Support Division (TSD) set up during his tenure had attempted to destabilise the Omar Abdullah government, Singh dubbed the allegations as "most absurd`.
The former Army Chief said it was "laughable and most absurd" allegation that he was trying to topple the Jammu and Kashmir government saying the Army had done a lot of things to bring stability there.
Attacking the state chief minister Omar Abdullah for "mis-governance", Gen Singh said he was "shooting of his mouth for nothing" on the allegations that the TSD was used to topple the state government.
On the charge that the TSD was misused for unauthorised operations and that it had indulged in financial wrongdoings, he claimed that the Army and the Defence Ministry had found "nothing suspicious" against the unit in their probe and had sent the probe report to the National Security Advisor (NSA) for closure.
"The reports on the whole issue are motivated and there are a number of reasons behind it including my sharing of dais with BJP leader Narendra Modi. There is a nexus between arms dealers and those behind the reports," Gen Singh said here.
The former Army Chief said after the Government decided to close the issue by sending it to the NSA, "a Joint Secretary of the Defence Ministry has leaked this report against me".
Meanwhile, NSA Shivshankar Menon is understood to have held a meeting of the top officials from intelligence agencies along with Defence and Home Secretaries to discuss the issue and its implications.
As the controversy raged, Congress said anyone denigrating the fair name of the Indian Army cannot go Scot-free and will be punished. Party leader from J and K Saifuddin Soz demanded a probe into the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand