VK Singh justifies decision on Suhag promotion ban
New Delhi: After the Defence ministry termed as "illegal" his decision to put a ban on promotion of Army Chief designate Dalbir Suhag, Gen (retd)V K Singh, now a Union Minister, on Tuesday justified his action.
"If unit kills innocents, does dacoity and then head of organization tries to protect them, should he not be blamed? Criminals should go free!!," he tweeted.
The Defence ministry has told the Supreme Court in a recent affidavit in a promotion case related to Lt Gen Ravi Dastane that the alleged lapses which were made as grounds to impose disciplinary ban on Suhag were "premeditated", "vague" and "illegal".
The former Army Chief`s comments came against the backdrop of reports that a unit under Lt General Dalbir Suhag had allegedly carried out killings and daocities in the North East region.
Latching on to the affidavit, Congress spokesperson Abishek Singhvi sought the resignation of V K Singh, saying that the NDA government`s affidavit in the Supreme Court on the issue of Army vice chief Dalbir Singh Suhag`s promotion was an expression of "no confidence" in him.
Singh had a running battle with the UPA II government over a controversy on his date of birth.
Incidentally, he is the first minister whose resignation is sought by the Opposition since the BJP government was formed a fortnight ago.
The Defence Ministry, meanwhile, said it has adhered to its stand taken earlier on the issue related to imposition of Discipline and Vigilance(DV) ban on Suhag by Gen Singh.
In his other tweet, V K Singh asked," MOD affidavit same as it gave to AFT(Armed Forces Tribunal) under protective and conniving UPA, so what is new folks?"
In yet another tweet, he attacked Singhvi saying, "All who got carried away by Singhvi`s tirade.
"Chhaj to bole so bole who chhalni kya bole jismen1800 chhed" (pot calling the kettle black)."
Singh, who is a now Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region, External Affairs and Overseas Indian Affairs, had placed Suhag under a DV ban for an alleged botched up military intelligence operation by a unit under him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj