VK Singh meets Anna, says no politics behind it
New Delhi: Moments after Anna Hazare skipped a public meeting addressed by TMC chief Mamata Banerjee, former army chief Gen V K Singh Wednesday met him triggering speculation that the anti-corruption crusader could have been wooed by BJP.
Singh, who was earlier associated with Hazare and recently joined BJP, sought to down play the meeting saying it was a courtesy call and there was no politics behind it.
He said that he meets Hazare whenever he comes to Delhi. However, when asked by reporters, he maintained that if Hazare`s principles allow, he may campaign for him.
"Can`t I meet him without any purpose? He is unwell. Every time he comes to Delhi, we meet. He is here so I came to meet him," Singh said.
Meanwhile, when asked if BJP was cozying up to Hazare, party spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said one should not see politics when two patriots meet.
"Gen V K Singh is a patriot and so is Anna. When two patriots meet, one should not see politics in that," he told reporters. He also said that Singh was a former army chief and was free to meet anyone at a personal level.
On Banerjee`s speech, Singh said, "I do not know what Mamataji is saying," Singh said.
Hazare, who was scheduled to share dais with Banerjee, skipped the rally citing health problems. The rally was billed to be a platform to launch Banerjee`s national ambitions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway