VK Singh skips ex-chiefs` meet
New Delhi: The Army on Thursday briefed its former chiefs on the current security and operational scenario faced by the 1.3 million-strong force but V K Singh could not attend the meet due to `previous commitments`.
The bi-annual former Army Chiefs` Conclave was hosted by Army chief Gen Bikram Singh during which the former chiefs gave meaningful suggestions for improving the force, Army officials said here. Welfare measures taken by the force for ex-servicemen was also discussed.
The former chiefs who attended the meeting at the Army Headquarters included Deepak Kapoor, J J Singh, N C Vij, S Padmanabhan, V P Malik and V N Sharma.
The two previous chiefs who could attend the meet included V K Singh and Shankar Roychowdhary.
Bikram Singh`s immediate predecessor V K Singh expressed his inability to attend the function due to previous commitments, they said.
V K Singh has in recent past been involved in agitations against the government and had also joined a `gherao` of Parliament over the demands of sugarcane farmers in the country.
Radhika Bewoor, wife of G G bewoor, and Vani Sundarji, wife of K Sundarji, also attended the conclave.
The practice of calling former chiefs was initiated when Vij was the Army Chief and that was one of the last few occasions when Field Marshal S H F J Manekshaw attended any official ceremony in the capital.
The meeting is usually held around the Army Commanders` Conference but it was held more than a month after that meeting which took place in October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly