VK Singh threatens to gherao Parliament
New Delhi: Former Army Chief VK Singh on Friday took his protest against the Central government a step further when he indicated he may join a canegrowers` planned gherao of Parliament on December 4.
Appearing on a new platform to back Rashtriya Kisan Mazdoor Sangathan`s (RKMS) demand for rejection of Rangarajan Committee report on freeing the sugar sector, he said the committee`s recommendation on doing away with State Advisory Price (SAP) and cane reservation area will adversely affect the farmers of northern states.
Addressing a press conference, Singh and RKMS Convenor V M Singh released a letter they wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for rejecting the Rangarajan Committee report.
"In case the report is not rejected, canegrowers of northern states would gherao Parliament on December 4 as a protest against the said report," the letter said.
Asked whether he supports the call for a gherao of Parliament, the former Army Chief said, "I am endorsing a call which is in the interest of farmers."
On joining the gherao, he said, "we will cross the bridge when we reach there.....Whether that situation will come or not, we will see. I am quite sure the Prime Minister is competent enough to relook at the report."
He said the revenue sharing formula suggested by the committee is not fair and does not provide a level-playing field to northern states, where sugar recovery is below 9 per cent. But the panel suggests 70 per cent revenue be paid based on an average 10.31 per cent recovery of sugar.
Singh demanded that the Centre should not fix fair and remunerative price (FRP) and current system of SAP and cane area reservation should continue. He said the farmers` body has no objection to other recommendations of the panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'