VK Singh to join anti-graft stir: Claims Ramdev`s spokesman
New Delhi: Former Army chief Gen VK Singh, who locked horns with the government, is set to join the anti-corruption movement over the next few weeks, yoga guru Ramdev`s spokesperson claimed today.
"Yes," Ramdev`s spokesperson SK Tijariwala said when asked about the possibility of Singh joining the movement over the next few weeks.
Singh could not be reached for his comments. When asked, Law Minister Salman Khurshid said "VK Singh can don any role now after he has finished his term with the Army. I hope he gives his right date of birth before joining movement. Any officer is free to take up any role after his tenure is over in the Army."
Ramdev, on his part, has said they have invited Singh. "We have lots of expectations from him. Just like he had fought while being in the Army, now we hope he takes the fight against corruption," he said to a news agency.
Ramdev said Singh has worked "very courageously" as a general and he did not bow down or get sold out.
He said they have been speaking to the former Army chief. "We believe that he will have a major role to play in the civil society agitation," he told TV channels.
Praising Singh, he said "no one in the Army`s history
has fought a sustained battle against corruption from within in a manner Gen Singh has done during his tenure. He is a gallant warrior with a lot of passion."
Asked about the propriety of a former Army chief joining such a movement, Ramdev said the menace of corruption can only be tackled if all like-minded forces work jointly.
On the August nine agitation, Ramdev said "we have cornered the government now. Either it gives in to our demands or it goes."
Speaking about differences with Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal, he said "we cannot forget manners when leading a revolt. This is not a tele-serial. It cannot descend to the level of a personal attack."
Kejriwal had made an abrupt exit from the joint fast venue last Sunday after Ramdev objected to his speech in which he attacked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and other leaders.
He also said whatever differences there are in Team Anna, Anna Hazare needs to deal with them. "Controlling Kejriwal is Anna’s responsibility," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says