Voter ID to be valid as address proof: Poll panel
Agartala: The Elector`s Photo Identity Cards (EPIC) will be treated as residential proof of a citizen in India, an Election Commission official said on Tuesday.
"An intensive house-to-house survey will be launched soon to incorporate latest information about the residential address of a citizen. Then, a fresh EPIC will be issued to eligible voters," the Election Commission official said.
He said: "The EPIC with the latest information of the voters would be treated as residential proof to serve numerous purposes."
Booth level officers (BLO) will conduct the survey across the country to collect data about the residential address of all the electors. "The Election Commission has directed all the states to conduct the survey by the BLOs," the official added.
The Election Commission started the scheme of EPICs in 1993 to prevent impersonation during polls. In 2004, the poll panel had introduced photo electoral rolls.
Coverage of both EPICs and photographs in the electoral rolls has increased significantly in the last few years. At present, the all-India coverage of EPICs is approximately 95 percent and photo images in the electoral rolls is about 90 percent.
According to the official, the commission has decided that a concerted effort would be made to achieve 100 percent EPIC coverage and photo affixed electoral rolls soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you