Voters depend on others` opinion to choose candidate: Survey
New Delhi: Though casting vote is an individual`s decision, around one-third voters depend on opinion of others while deciding whom to vote for, a survey conducted by Election Commission has found.
A baseline survey of Knowledge, Attitude, Behaviour, Belief and Practices (KABBP) mandated by the Election Commission during May and June this year, was conducted to understand perceptions and reasons of non-participation of registered voters in the election process.
As many as 4,736 respondents of 25 Assembly constituencies from various strata including women and minorities were selected for the survey.
The survey revealed that 35 percent respondents see voting as their right, while 19 percent feel that it is their duty and for 32 percent it is a combination of their right and duty.
As high as 84 percent have trust on the electronic voting machines (EVM), 4 percent express anxiety about EVM, while the rest have no view in the issue. Moreover, 69 percent expressed that EVM with paper trail will increase their trust in EVM anymore.
More than two-third of respondents said they watch television for news related to politics and election during election.
The survey also revealed that there is low registration among the young voters, women and migrants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- Pakistan to keep border crossing with Afghanistan shut till apology
- Sheena Bora murder case: Court asks CBI to begin arguments on framing of charges
- 21kg tumor removed from 61-year-old man at Gurgaon hospital
- `Very difficult` for Bastian Schweinsteiger to play at Manchester United: Jose Mourinho
- Europa League draw: Manchester United set for Robin van Persie reunion