Voters depend on others` opinion to choose candidate: Survey
New Delhi: Though casting vote is an individual`s decision, around one-third voters depend on opinion of others while deciding whom to vote for, a survey conducted by Election Commission has found.
A baseline survey of Knowledge, Attitude, Behaviour, Belief and Practices (KABBP) mandated by the Election Commission during May and June this year, was conducted to understand perceptions and reasons of non-participation of registered voters in the election process.
As many as 4,736 respondents of 25 Assembly constituencies from various strata including women and minorities were selected for the survey.
The survey revealed that 35 percent respondents see voting as their right, while 19 percent feel that it is their duty and for 32 percent it is a combination of their right and duty.
As high as 84 percent have trust on the electronic voting machines (EVM), 4 percent express anxiety about EVM, while the rest have no view in the issue. Moreover, 69 percent expressed that EVM with paper trail will increase their trust in EVM anymore.
More than two-third of respondents said they watch television for news related to politics and election during election.
The survey also revealed that there is low registration among the young voters, women and migrants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price