Voting could be made compulsory: Moily
New Delhi: Law Minister M Veerappa Moily
today said the India needs to graduate to a level where
everyone casts vote and nurture democracy.
"In an ideal situation voting could be made compulsory,"
he said replying to a debate on a Private Member`s Bill on
Compulsory Voting moved by Congress member Jai Prakash
"Everyone should contribute and nurture the largest
democracy" he said in his reply which remained inconclusive.
Earlier participating in debate members from all sides
supported the idea of compulsory voting.
Opposition parties said government must provide adequate
facilities to encourage voters to exercise their franchise.
Gorakhnath Pandey (BSP) said people should be penalised
not casting their votes. The penalty could be a fine of Rs 500
or confiscation of ration card.
Viney Kumar (Cong) regretted that the government has not
not able to prepare proper electoral rolls.
Another Congress member Raja Rampal said about 70-80 per
cent of the people do not know the meaning of democracy.
Premdas (S) said there should be one voter list for all
J M Aaron Rashid (Congress) underlined the need for
infusing democratic spirit among youth.
Shailendra Kumar (SP) said the Government has to make
facilities available to make people vote.
S Semmalai (AIADMK) endorsed the concept of compulsory
voting and but said the government should not have any
alliance with parties which do not follow good electoral
Satpal Maharaj (Cong) sought postal voting rights for
Adhir Ranjan Choudhary (Cong) said the Constitution does
not permit punishing voters if they do not vote.
Vijay Bhadur Singh (BSP), Chaudhary Lal Singh (Congress)
and Badruddin Ajmal (AUD) also spoke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday