VP poll: Gopalkrishna touched by Mamata`s proposal
Kolkata: Former West Bengal governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi, who had turned down a proposal to contest the upcoming Vice-Presidential election, today said Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee`s proposal for his candidature has touched his heart.
"The consistency and steadfastness with which you have reposed trust in me, a non-political participant in our public life, has touched me," he said in a letter to her.
Conveying sincere thanks to Banerjee for having thought of him and suggesting his name to UPA partners as a candidate for the post of vice-president, Gandhi said he would always cherish the love of the people of West Bengal, where he served as governor from 2004 to 2009.
"I see it as a reflection of the overwhelming affection which the people of West Bengal have extended to me, something which I shall always cherish and can never forget," he said.
The Congress-led alliance has announced Vice-President Hamid Ansari as its candidate for a second term, while senior BJP leader Jaswant Singh is NDA`s nominee.
Trinamool Congress had proposed the names of Gandhi and Krishna Bose, a former Parliamentarian and wife of Netaji Subash Chandra Bose`s nephew Sishir Bose, for the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?