VP poll: Numbers not in favour of Jaswant Singh
New Delhi: After split over Presidential poll, NDA might have got united to nominate senior BJP leader Jaswant Singh for Vice Presidentship but the numbers are clearly against him.
As things stand, incumbent and UPA candidate Hamid Ansari has a definite edge in the August 7 poll with the pledged support of at least 438 votes in an electoral college of 790 MPs, much above the required number of 396.
Singh, former finance and external affairs minister, has the committed support of 186 votes in the electoral college which comprises 545 members of Lok Sabha and 245 members of Rajya Sabha.
Except for Trinamool Congress with 28 MPs, all the constituents of UPA are solidly behind Ansari, whose candidature was declared last Saturday after a meeting of the allies. Trinamool is yet to make up its mind.
Ansari also has the support of UPA`s outside supporters Samajwadi Party and BSP besides CPI(M) and Forward Bloc.
However, this figure could go up as there are 125 MPs, including ten nominated members, of different parties who are yet to announce their preference.
Even if all these MPs pledge support to the NDA nominee, Singh can muster only around 300 votes.
The parties which have pledged support for Ansari are: Congress (278), BSP (36), SP (31), CPM (27), DMK (25), NCP (16), RLD (5), RJD (5), National Conference (5) and others which include Forward Bloc, Muslim League, AIMIM, AIUDF, Kerala Congress (Mani), VKC, BVA, NPF, SDF and Swabhiman Paksha.
For Singh, BJP has 163 MPs, JD-U 29, Shiv Sena 15, Akali Dal 7 and others like JMM three and Haryana Janhit Party one.
BJD with 21 MPs and AIADMK with 14 MPs, which are with NDA in supporting PA Sangma in the Presidential poll, have not revealed their stand so far.
RSP with two MPs has decided to abstain from voting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!