VS Sampath is new Chief Election Commissioner
New Delhi: Election Commissioner V S Sampath was on Wednesday appointed the new Chief Election Commissioner who will preside over the next Lok Sabha general elections in 2014.
62-year-old Sampath will take over as CEC after incumbent SY Quraishi demits office on June 10.
Brushing aside BJP Leader LK Advani`s suggestion for a collegium to decide on appointment of CEC and CAG, the government went ahead and named the 1973-batch IAS officer of Andhra Pradesh cadre.
President Pratibha Patil cleared his appointment this evening, official sources said.
A low-profile bureaucrat who has had stints in varied positions in Andhra Pradesh and Delhi, Veeravalli Sundaram Sampath was Power Secretary at the Centre before he was appointed Election Commissioner in April, 2009.
Born on January 16, 1950, Sampath will be at the helm of Election Commission until January, 2015 when he attains 65 years.
Under the Constitution, an EC or the CEC can remain in office either for a six year term or till 65 years, whichever is earlier.
Consequent to Sampath`s appointment, Government will soon be naming his replacement as Election Commissioner.
After Sampath, the other Commissioner H S Brahma becomes the next in seniority in the three-member Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble