VVIP chopper deal: No wrongdoing in links with software firms, says AgustaWestland
New Delhi: Facing the threat of cancellation of its helicopter deal, AgustaWestland has claimed that there was no wrongdoing in its links with the two software firms, which were allegedly used to pay kickbacks in the Rs 3,600 crore chopper contract.
The Anglo-Italian firm has written to the Defence Ministry, and attached along with a report of an auditor to support its claim.
The Defence Ministry, however, is not convinced with the audit report and has asked the firm to furnish more details about its transactions with Tunisia and Chandigarh-based firms IDS Infotech and Aeromatrix respectively, sources told PTI here.
The letter has come in response to the Defence Ministry`s specific query about AgustaWestland`s links with the two software firms which were allegedly used as a cover to pay a portion of the kickbacks.
Both IDS Infotech and Aeromatrix are being investigated by CBI along with former Air Force chief SP Tyagi and three of his cousins for allegedly ensuring that AgustaWestland won the VVIP chopper deal.
A show cause notice was issued by the Defence Ministry to AgustaWestland last month as part of the process to cancel the contract for 12 VVIP helicopters. The Ministry had asked the firm why the deal should not be cancelled in view of corruption charges against it.
The firm had replied to the letter denying any wrongdoing in the deal but Defence Minister A K Antony had rejected the response of the company.
The Defence Minister has ordered a CBI probe into the allegations of kickbacks to the tune of Rs 362 crore after the arrest of CEO of Finmeccanica Giuseppe Orsi and AgustaWestland CEO Bruno Spagnolini by Italian investigators in connection with the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what