VVIP chopper deal under ED scanner
New Delhi: The troubled VVIP chopper purchase from an Italian firm has also come under the scanner of the Enforcement Directorate which is expected to register a criminal case of money laundering to probe allegations of kickbacks in the Rs 3600 deal.
The ED started going through documents it had received from a US Attorney Edmond Allen who was earlier associated with arms dealer Abhishek Verma which had suggested that kickbacks have been paid in the chopper deal by the firm AgustaWestland, the agency sources said.
The references about the firm, which is in the news because of the arrest of Giuseppe Orsi-- the CEO of Italian defence and aerospace giant Finmeccanica-- were in respect of alleged purchases of utility and some variants of military choppers for Indian defence and security requirements.
Sources said the ED will take a call whether to register a case under the stringent clauses of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) in this deal once the CBI files an FIR and also will take in account its ongoing investigation under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information