VVIP Chopper scam: CBI examines executives of Indian firms
New Delhi: CBI on Monday started examination of suspects in connection with alleged kickbacks received in the Rs 3600 crore VVIP chopper deal as it reached Chandigarh and questioned executives of IDS Infotech and Aeromatrix--firms named in its preliminary enquiry (PE).
CBI sources, without revealing identities said officials of both the firms were examined in connection with PE registered by it.
The agency suspects that a portion of Rs 362 crore bribe was allegedly routed to Indian nationals, through Tunisia and Mauritius, camouflaged as payments for engineering contracts to Chandigarh-based--IDS Infotech and Aeromatrix.
Both the companies had denied involvement in the bribery scandal.
The sources said records related to ownership of these companies, the contracts handled by them and several other related documents were also collected from these officials by the CBI investigators.
They said executives of the two Chandigarh-based firms were asked to join the probe of the agency into allegations that several million Euros were paid to three European middlemen to swing the VVIP helicopter deal in favour of Finmeccanica`s subsidiary AgustaWestland.
Two middlemen, from their share of commission, allegedly paid huge sums of money to several Indian nationals under the cover of payments of engineering contracts with the two Chandigarh-based firms, the PE said.
The agency had registered a preliminary enquiry against 11 people including former IAF chief S P Tyagi, his three cousins, European middlemen and four companies--Finmeccanica, AgustaWestland, IDS Infotech and Aeromatrix. All these suspects have refuted allegations against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says