VVIP chopper scam: Govt gets first set of documents from Italy
New Delhi: The government has received the first set of official documents from Italy in connection with the VVIP chopper scam including the warrants issued against former Finmeccanica CEO Giuseppe Orsi by authorities there.
The documents are expected to fast-track the Indian investigations into the bribery allegations in the Rs 3,600 crore deal for 12 AW-101 choppers, highly-placed government sources said here.
The receipt of these documents is expected to boost efforts to go to the root of the alleged scam amid Defence Minister A K Antony`s keenness to ensure that the truth is brought out expeditiously.
So far, Indian investigations into the case have been stuck in absence of official documents as the Italian court had refused to share it with India citing Italian laws.
However, the government is yet to officially receive the preliminary investigation report filed by the Italian prosecutors in the court of Busto Arsizio, they said.
The search warrant against Orsi is understood to have details about the alleged payment of kickbacks to middlemen engaged by him to swing the deal in favour of his firm.
Orsi had allegedly hired Guido Heschke and Christian Michel for bagging the deal. The two were allegedly in touch with the three cousins of former IAF chief S P Tyagi and they all have already been interrogated by the CBI.
Antony had told the Rajya Sabha that the truth in the case would come out soon with the two parallel investigations going on in Italy and India.
The minister and his team including Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma are working in this direction and are offering full cooperation to the CBI in its probe.
Soon after the arrest of Orsi on February 18 in Italy, Antony had ordered a CBI inquiry into the case and the Ministry had dispatched a one-member team including Joint Secretary and Acquisition Manager Arun Kumar Bal to Milan to get "as much evidence as possible".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way