VVIP Chopper scam: Haschke claims to have met former IAF chief 6-7 times
New Delhi: Alleged middleman in the chopper scam Guido Haschke has told an Italian court that he had met former IAF chief SP Tyagi six to seven times while recounting his role in the scandal, according to media reports.
In his five hours of hearing in a local court in Milan, he said there was a plan to divide a commission of 7 percent of the worth of the deal with the three Tyagi brothers, cousins of then Air chief SP Tyagi.
"Haschke then told the court that he had met Shashi Tyagi at least six or seven times," according to an Italian news website.
The alleged middleman also recounted the various meetings at multiple locations between him and his accomplices in the whole episode in Rome and Dubai.
In the hearing, the crucial middleman, who was recently arrested by Italian authorities after being extradited by Swiss authorities, said he had kept aside seven per cent of the deal as his share and for paying the three Tyagi cousins.
He said the 50 percent of the total money was to be paid to the other middleman Christian Michel and the money to be paid was to be routed through the engineering services contract as part of the deal.
The Defence Ministry is expected to scrap the deal for the 12 VVIP choppers after it has found that the Anglo-Italian firm violated the pre-contract integrity pact with India.
AgustaWestland and the Tyagi brothers have denied any wrongdoing on their behalf in the deal worth Rs 3,600 crore.
The Italian court will hold its next hearing on December 6 where more light is expected to be thrown on the role of the middlemen in the deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!