VVIP Chopper scam: Haschke claims to have met former IAF chief 6-7 times
New Delhi: Alleged middleman in the chopper scam Guido Haschke has told an Italian court that he had met former IAF chief SP Tyagi six to seven times while recounting his role in the scandal, according to media reports.
In his five hours of hearing in a local court in Milan, he said there was a plan to divide a commission of 7 percent of the worth of the deal with the three Tyagi brothers, cousins of then Air chief SP Tyagi.
"Haschke then told the court that he had met Shashi Tyagi at least six or seven times," according to an Italian news website.
The alleged middleman also recounted the various meetings at multiple locations between him and his accomplices in the whole episode in Rome and Dubai.
In the hearing, the crucial middleman, who was recently arrested by Italian authorities after being extradited by Swiss authorities, said he had kept aside seven per cent of the deal as his share and for paying the three Tyagi cousins.
He said the 50 percent of the total money was to be paid to the other middleman Christian Michel and the money to be paid was to be routed through the engineering services contract as part of the deal.
The Defence Ministry is expected to scrap the deal for the 12 VVIP choppers after it has found that the Anglo-Italian firm violated the pre-contract integrity pact with India.
AgustaWestland and the Tyagi brothers have denied any wrongdoing on their behalf in the deal worth Rs 3,600 crore.
The Italian court will hold its next hearing on December 6 where more light is expected to be thrown on the role of the middlemen in the deal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani