VVIP Chopper scam: Pleased to give statement to CBI, says Wanchoo
New Delhi: Goa Governor BV Wanchoo has said he was "pleased" to have given CBI his statement on Friday in connection with the alleged bribery scandal in the VVIP helicopter deal and hoped that the agency would now bring the truth out in the case at the earliest.
A statement issued by 63-year-old Wanchoo`s office after the CBI team left his official residence in Panaji said the governor recorded his statement as a "witness" in the VVIP helicopter case under Section 161 CrPC.
Under this section, any police officer may examine orally any person supposed to be acquainted with the facts and circumstances of a case.
According to the statement, Wanchoo, after becoming aware that CBI was desirous of recording his statement as a witness, "was very keen that the same be recorded at the earliest for the purpose of completing the legal process in the case.
"The Governor was, therefore, happy when a formal request from the CBI was received on June 24 whereafter the CBI was intimated that they could record the Governor`s statement in Goa.
"The Governor was, therefore, pleased to give his statement as a witness today," it said, adding that Wanchoo hoped that "his statement would have clarified any issues that the CBI may have had and hopes that the CBI would conclude their investigation to bring out the truth at the very earliest."
Wanchoo was examined by CBI in connection with the Rs 3,600 crore VVIP helicopter deal with AgustaWestland in which it is alleged that a bribe of Rs 360 crore was paid to middlemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?