VVIP Chopper scam: Pleased to give statement to CBI, says Wanchoo
New Delhi: Goa Governor BV Wanchoo has said he was "pleased" to have given CBI his statement on Friday in connection with the alleged bribery scandal in the VVIP helicopter deal and hoped that the agency would now bring the truth out in the case at the earliest.
A statement issued by 63-year-old Wanchoo`s office after the CBI team left his official residence in Panaji said the governor recorded his statement as a "witness" in the VVIP helicopter case under Section 161 CrPC.
Under this section, any police officer may examine orally any person supposed to be acquainted with the facts and circumstances of a case.
According to the statement, Wanchoo, after becoming aware that CBI was desirous of recording his statement as a witness, "was very keen that the same be recorded at the earliest for the purpose of completing the legal process in the case.
"The Governor was, therefore, happy when a formal request from the CBI was received on June 24 whereafter the CBI was intimated that they could record the Governor`s statement in Goa.
"The Governor was, therefore, pleased to give his statement as a witness today," it said, adding that Wanchoo hoped that "his statement would have clarified any issues that the CBI may have had and hopes that the CBI would conclude their investigation to bring out the truth at the very earliest."
Wanchoo was examined by CBI in connection with the Rs 3,600 crore VVIP helicopter deal with AgustaWestland in which it is alleged that a bribe of Rs 360 crore was paid to middlemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?