VVIPS security: SC seeks Centre`s response
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday sought response from the Centre for classifying people as VIPs and VVIPs other than constitutional functionaries for providing them security cover.
A bench headed by Justice G S Singhvi said that the issue needs to be debated as police protection and use of red light beacons are being misused by them.
"The issue requires detailed debate on the use of red lights, hooters and sirens by private individuals and so-called VIPs...If our identity emerges in these red lights, it is quite a different scenario," the bench, also comprising justices Ranjana Desai and Kurien Joseph, observed.
"We like to be enlightened about the origin of VIP and VVIP and its place in our democratic polity," the bench said while posting the matter for hearing on April 3.
It also expressed displeasure over the sight of gun-wielding security persons accompanying the VIPs in public places.
"How will ordinary man live," the bench asked, referring to the presence of armed security personnel with VIPs even in seminars and conferences.
The bench was hearing a PIL filed by a Uttar Pradesh resident on misuse of red beacon.
The apex court had earlier asked the Centre, all states and union territories to furnish details of expenses incurred on providing security to various categories of persons including people with criminal background and kith and kin of VVIPs.
"The Centre, all State governments and Union Territories administrations shall furnish the details of total expenses in providing security to public persons and private persons other than the Constitutional functionaries such as President, Prime Minister, Vice President, Lok Sabha Speaker... And their counterparts in States and Union Territories," the bench had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery