VVIPS security: SC seeks Centre`s response
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday sought response from the Centre for classifying people as VIPs and VVIPs other than constitutional functionaries for providing them security cover.
A bench headed by Justice G S Singhvi said that the issue needs to be debated as police protection and use of red light beacons are being misused by them.
"The issue requires detailed debate on the use of red lights, hooters and sirens by private individuals and so-called VIPs...If our identity emerges in these red lights, it is quite a different scenario," the bench, also comprising justices Ranjana Desai and Kurien Joseph, observed.
"We like to be enlightened about the origin of VIP and VVIP and its place in our democratic polity," the bench said while posting the matter for hearing on April 3.
It also expressed displeasure over the sight of gun-wielding security persons accompanying the VIPs in public places.
"How will ordinary man live," the bench asked, referring to the presence of armed security personnel with VIPs even in seminars and conferences.
The bench was hearing a PIL filed by a Uttar Pradesh resident on misuse of red beacon.
The apex court had earlier asked the Centre, all states and union territories to furnish details of expenses incurred on providing security to various categories of persons including people with criminal background and kith and kin of VVIPs.
"The Centre, all State governments and Union Territories administrations shall furnish the details of total expenses in providing security to public persons and private persons other than the Constitutional functionaries such as President, Prime Minister, Vice President, Lok Sabha Speaker... And their counterparts in States and Union Territories," the bench had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security