VYAPAM scam: Doctor arrested in Delhi
New Delhi: A doctor who was wanted in connection with the scam for entrance to medical colleges in Madhya Pradesh (VYAPAM scam) and who carried a reward of Rs 15,000 on his arrest has been nabbed by the Crime Branch of Delhi Police.
Dr Santosh Chaurasia (31), a resident of Gwalior, MP and wanted by Madhya Pradesh Police in the examination scam for entrance to the medical colleges of the state by Madhya Pradesh Vyavsayik Pariksha Mandal (VYAPAM) was apprehended from Connaught Place, Delhi yesterday. He was arrested under the appropriate section of the law.
"He was one of the kingpins of the examination scam for entrance to the medical colleges in Madhya Pradesh, conducted by VYAPAM. A reward of Rs 15,000 had been declared by MP Police for his arrest," said Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime) Ashok Chand.
During interrogation, Dr Santosh Chaurasia revealed that he is a final year student of MBBS in Vardhman Mahavir Medical College, Safdarjung Hospital, Delhi.
"He is a close associate of Dr Deepak Yadav, one of the key associate of the examination scam who has been already arrested by Madhya Pradesh Police. Chaurasia came in contact with Yadav in the year 2003 and since then he has been associated with him," said Chand.
According to police, one of the modus operandi used by the scamsters was to provide fake/imposer candidate to take the exams instead of the actual candidate with whom the scamsters had struck a deal for getting him admitted in the medical colleges of Madhya Pradesh.
The fake/imposer candidate in the terminology of the scamsters was called "Scholar/Scorer" who used to appear for the weak candidates
"The task of Dr Santosh Chaurasia was to provided scholars/scorers. He procured scholars/scorers from an associate based in Lucknow, UP. Dr Deepak Yadav used to charge Rs 5-8 lakh per candidate and Dr Santosh Chaurasia was given a part of the money," said Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Ravindra Yadav.
Chaurasia is wanted in four cases of cheating, forgery and Examination Act of Jhansi Road Police Staion, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
He was earlier arrested in 2006 in an MBA admission racket along with other associates at Police Station Chandan Nagar, Indore and the case is pending trial.
Chaurasia was produced in Patiala House Court from where he was handed over to Madhya Pradesh Police on Transit Remand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- 'Sarbjit' Box Office collections: Randeep Hooda-Aishwarya Rai Bachchan starrer mints Rs 8.25 cr!
- Photo alert! Latest pic of Twinkle Khanna with daughter Nitara will surely make you go aww
- Will drag Preeti Menon to court: Maharastra minister Eknath Khadse on 'links' with Dawood
- Handsomeness! Randeep Hooda and Dino Morea party looking debonair-- See pics
- PM Modi calls for protection of environment on 'Mann Ki Baat'