Wakf bill sent to Select Committee
New Delhi: A key bill aimed at bettering the
functioning of Wakf boards across the country was referred to
a select committee of Rajya Sabha.
This was announced by Minority Affairs Minister Salman
Khurshid in the Upper House today. The committee will submit
its report within six weeks.
Several Muslim groups including All India Muslim Personal
Law Board (AIMPLB) had objected to certain provisions in the
bill, which was passed by Lok Sabha on May 7.
AIMPLB had held that the provision for making registration
of all wakf properties necessary will affect Muslims` claim
over Babri mosque, which is not registered, a contention
rejected by Khurshid.
The bill has stringent penal provisions to prevent
encroachments and to streamline the process of removal of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued