Wakf bill sent to Select Committee
New Delhi: A key bill aimed at bettering the
functioning of Wakf boards across the country was referred to
a select committee of Rajya Sabha.
This was announced by Minority Affairs Minister Salman
Khurshid in the Upper House today. The committee will submit
its report within six weeks.
Several Muslim groups including All India Muslim Personal
Law Board (AIMPLB) had objected to certain provisions in the
bill, which was passed by Lok Sabha on May 7.
AIMPLB had held that the provision for making registration
of all wakf properties necessary will affect Muslims` claim
over Babri mosque, which is not registered, a contention
rejected by Khurshid.
The bill has stringent penal provisions to prevent
encroachments and to streamline the process of removal of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report