Walmart issue: ‘Govt best judge to decide on type of probe`
New Delhi: Dismissing suggestions that the Walmart lobbying issue has brought under a cloud the vote on FDI in Parliament, Congress on Tuesday said the government is the "best judge" to decide what type of inquiry is needed on the controversy.
"Not at all. These are all baseless allegations. FDI is in the interest of the country....Government is the best judge (to decide on what kind of inquiry is needed)," party spokesman Rashid Alvi told reporters here.
Noting that the probe should help find out the factual position as early as possible, he said that a lot of thought needed to be given on the kind of inquiry as there are aspects related to foreign countries where the Indian law does not apply.
He was asked a volley of questions at the AICC briefing including whether the vote on FDI in multi-brand retail in Parliament has come under cloud following surfacing of the lobbying issue.
Remarks of the Congress spokesman came close on the heels of the Opposition demand for instituting a Joint Parliamentary Committee or a time-bound judicial inquiry into the Walmart lobbying issue that rocked Parliament for the second consecutive day today.
Insisting that the money spent by Walmart was on lobbying in the US and not in India, he said that the decision taken to allow FDI in retail in the country was "government`s own decision" and that it was not taken under pressure from anybody and nor was it a result of lobbying.
"We take our own decisions and the lobbying by anyone does not have any impact," he said. The debate on the FDI in retail issue was on in the country for the past ten years, he said, adding that Walmart has denied that it has spent any money in India in connection with FDI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks